Following the recent installation of the winged sculpture “El Tiempo” outside the Conant Performing Arts Center, Oglethorpe University is now also hosting an exhibition of photographs of the “Wings of the City” sculpture series, hosted by the City of Brookhaven.
On view in the Conant Performing Arts Center lobby, the photo exhibition installation marks the launch of the “#WingsOfTheCityBrookhaven” photo contest, which is administered by the Consulate General of Mexico and the Jorge Marín Foundation.
Open to anyone age 18 or older, the contest is an opportunity to honor and celebrate the diversity of the Brookhaven community through art. Participants can submit photos from Feb. 1 to Mar. 31, 2023. See the rules for participating below.
“The arts are of the utmost importance here at Oglethorpe, and it’s our privilege to host this special installation of photography of Jorge Marín’s sculpture series,” said Oglethorpe President Nick Ladany. “His sculptures have enriched not only our campus but the City of Brookhaven, and we are grateful for the opportunity to participate in promoting the arts. The contest is a creative way to expand awareness of the work and its cultural impact.”
The traveling exhibition is comprised of a collection of 9 large scale bronze sculptures, one of them located on Oglethorpe University’s campus, that will be on view around Brookhaven through April 2023.
“The Consulate General of Mexico in Atlanta is proud to partner with the City of Brookhaven to bring to Georgia the exhibition of one of the most celebrated contemporary Mexican sculptors. I am deeply appreciative of the generous participation of the Jorge Marín Foundation, Explore Brookhaven, Delta Air Lines, and Viva Tequila Festival, which allowed us to carry out a photography contest that exalts the diversity, plurality, and brotherhood of our communities,” said Consul General of Mexico in Atlanta, Javier Díaz de León.
The exhibition is the first planned event by the Brookhaven Arts and Culture Commission (ACC) since Brookhaven designated the Buford Highway Cultural Corridor in January 2022.
Contest Terms and Conditions
- Photo entries will be accepted from February 1 to March 31, 2023.
- Anyone 18 years of age or older, who have an Instagram account can participate free of charge.
- Only one photograph per contestant is allowed. Make it your best!
- On April 5th, 2023, the Consulate of Mexico in Atlanta and the Jorge Marín Foundation will announce the winners on their respective social media accounts.
- The three winning photographs (first, second, and third place) will be determined by the highest overall number of likes obtained by the images in the contest by midnight on March 31, 2023.
- To see the locations where you can find the sculptures, visit: https://tinyurl.com/WingsofBrookhaven
Process to Participate
- Follow the Instagram accounts: @jorgemarinmx, @fundacionjorgemarin, @consulmex_atlanta, @brookhavengagov, @explorebrookhaven and @vivatequilafestival.
- Take a photo with one of the nine sculptures of the Wings of the City exhibition in Brookhaven.
- In the caption of the photo, write a word, phrase, or quote that the sculpture inspires you in English or Spanish.
- Tag @jorgemarinmx, @fundacionjorgemarin, @consulmex_atlanta, @vivatequilafestival, @explorebrookhaven and @brookhavengagov.
- Post the image to your Instagram feed (not stories) using the hashtag #wingsofthecityBrookhaven and/or #alasdelaciudadBrookhaven.
- Treinta y cinco, 2017 | Lithograph | 56x38cm.
- A trip to Mexico for two people and a visit to Jorge Marín’s Studio.
- Standing Man, 2006 | Lithograph | 47x32cm
- $100 gift card from a Brookhaven restaurant (Pure Taqueria). Sponsored by Explore Brookhaven
- Circled Man, 2018 | Lithograph | 29.5 x 21.5cm
- $75 gift card from a Brookhaven restaurant (Verde). Sponsored by Explore Brookhaven